Led by parents, the NYC Coalition for Educational Justice is organizing a movement to end the inequities in the city’s public school system. We are a collaborative of community-based organizations and unions whose members include culturally diverse parents, community members, students and educators. We are motivated by the urgent need to obtain a quality and well-rounded education for all students. We will mobilize the power of parents and the community to affect policy change and create a more equitable educational system.
All New York City Children Deserve Culturally Response Education!
As parents, we want our children to graduate from high school prepared for college and careers and lives of learning and leadership. While NYC schools are some of the most culturally and linguistically diverse in the nation, with 180 languages spoken, enormous achievement gaps remain. Many destructive forces contribute to these unacceptable outcomes, including the ways that systemic racism, overt and implicit bias play out inside schools. In order to help students achieve their goals, improve outcomes for all students and create oases from racism, sexism, xenophobia, Islamophobia, homophobia and other biases, the NYC school system needs Culturally Responsive Education.
Culturally Responsive Education (CRE) is a method of rigorous, student-centered education. CEJ calls on the NYC Department of Education to implement CRE in the following ways:
- 1. Work to ensure school and district staff represent the diversity of the NYC Schools population; promote district-wide skills in culturally responsive education and anti-discriminatory practices
- Provide classes, curricula, projects and resources designed to celebrate the rich diversity of NYC Schools students
- Cultivate a positive, culturally responsive culture in schools that respects and honors all youth regardless of race, culture, and abilities
- Champion increased parent engagement efforts that are culturally responsive and promote collaborative efforts to help students grow
CEJ Victory for Culturally Responsive Education!
Today the Mayor announced that the City is putting $23 million into the Executive budget for culturally responsive education and anti-bias trainings for tens of thousands of school staff. This is in direct response to the tireless work of parents from the NYC Coalition for Educational Justice (CEJ). Parents have been fighting, organizing and advocating for this for over a year, even delivering 20,000 petition signatures to City Hall a few weeks ago.
The trainings will include several topics such as…
- Implicit Bias
- Culturally Responsive Education
- Educating Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Students
- Empowering Families
- Power and Privilege
- Critical and Courageous Conversations about Race
- Embracing Diversity
- Leading for Equity and Excellence
Click here to read CEJ’s Press Statement
Click here to learn how CEJ has worked to make Culturally Responsive Education a reality in NYC schools.