Led by parents, the NYC Coalition for Educational Justice is organizing a movement to end the inequities in the city’s public school system. We are a collaborative of community-based organizations and unions whose members include culturally diverse parents, community members, students and educators. We are motivated by the urgent need to obtain a quality and well-rounded education for all students. We will mobilize the power of parents and the community to affect policy change and create a more equitable educational system.
Make All Schools Great Schools!
RE-DESIGN THE SCHOOL DAY
The current school day was designed 100 years ago to prepare students for factory or farm work, not for college and careers. Back then, public schools did not expect all students to graduate and go to college. To meet the challenges of the 21st century, struggling schools must be given the opportunity to reorganize teaching and learning and:
- Add More Time to the School Day and Year
- Provide a Well-Rounded, College-Preparatory Curriculum for all Students
- Attract, Train and Keep the Best Teachers and Principals
- Provide Strong, Comprehensive Supports for Every Child
- Put the Parents Back in Public Education